County Home |
Smaller Font Meter Size 1 Size 2 Size 3 Size 4 Size 5 Size 6 Larger

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a filter option below, then click a question to view its answer.

Filter by Topic

or by Audience


Franklin County Office on Aging

What is Senior Options?

Senior Options is funded by the Senior Services Levy and provides "one-stop shopping" for callers needing information, advocacy, or direct access to a wide range of community-based services.

By dialing (614) 525-6200, residents of Franklin County can access a system of services and information about community and home-based care for frail seniors. Senior Options maintains contracts with companies and agencies that provide personal care, home delivered meals, adult day care, medical transportation, and other services that allow our county's older citizens to live independently in their own homes.

What are adult protective services (APS)?

Adult protective services (APS) are services that prevent, remedy or reduce situations that endanger an older adult. These services are meant to maximize independence and self-direction while preventing unnecessary institutionalization by selecting the least restrictive alternative for intervention.

Per Ohio law, an individual must be 60 years of age or older to receive adult protective services and must be considered a vulnerable older adult. A vulnerable older adult suffers some form of physical or cognitive impairment that prevents them from being completely independent.

APS investigates cases of older adults in the community. There are different agencies that investigate abuse in nursing homes or abuse of developmentally disabled individuals.

What is the Caregiver Support Program?

The Caregiver Support Program supports caregivers of older adults age 60 and older on a short-term basis. The Program can assist with a variety of services, including in-home respite, adult day care, and durable medical equipment.

Caregiving can be challenging, but support is available to make it easier.

What is the CommunityCare Registry?

The CommunityCare Registry (CCR) is designed to connect pre-screened, self-employed homecare workers with those in need of assistance, regardless of age or income level. CCR provides you with access to experienced home care workers whose qualifications, availability, and hourly rates match your needs.

What is the Minor Home Repair Program?

Minor Home Repair strives to minimize the danger of falls and other accidents, enabling older adults to live at hme in safety and independence.

This might mean adding a wheelchair or walker ramp, installing grab bars in the bathroom, or making other minor property repairs.

Where can I find help for my parent who lives in Franklin County?

A single call to Senior Options at (614) 525-6200 can link older adults and their families with a caring professional trained to help solve senior problems.

Where can I find information on volunteer opportunities?

Information on volunteer opportunities in Franklin County can be found at HandsOn Central Ohio in the "Volunteer Opportunities" section of our Senior Citizen Information Handbook.

General Questions

How do I get my handicapped parking sticker?

Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles issues placards and license plates for the disabled. Placards and license plates for persons with a disability may be obtained at local Deputy Registrar agencies.

See the Senior Citizen Information Handbook for more information.

How do I get my Golden Buckeye Card?

Golden Buckeye Cards can be obtained through the Ohio Department of Aging.

Where are the senior centers located?

There are many senior citizen recreation centers operating within Franklin County.

A detailed list of these centers can be found on the Senior Citizen Information Handbook.

Where can I find senior citizen dining centers?

LifeCare Alliance has several dining center locations throughout Franklin County.

See the Senior Citizen Information Handbook for more information.

Where can I go for my flu shot?

The best time for a flu shot is between mid-October and mid-November. Contact the LifeCare Alliance flu shot hotline at (614) 278-3141.